African Vegetable Stew
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 6 fresh tomatoes (or 425g can)
- 400g can chickpeas
- 100g raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1 bunch spinach
- 100g uncooked rice
- 250ml water
- Peel and chop the onion finely. Peel and crush the garlic.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Either peel the sweet potatoes, or scrub them well with a vegetable brush, then cut them into cubes.
- Chop tomatoes if using fresh.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas, raisins, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, salt and pepper to the fried onion.
- Thoroughly wash the spinach, trim the stems if necessary and chop. Add to the vegetable mix.
- Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture in the saucepan. Put the rice and water in the well and pat down until it is wet.
- Cover and cook until the rice is soft or for about 20 – 25 minutes.